Accessibility links

England Cricket Tour of Zimbabwe to Go Forward

England's cricket tour of Zimbabwe has received the go-ahead after officials said they were satisfied with security arrangements in the African country.

The announcement came Wednesday, after the England and Wales Cricket Board sent a delegation to Zimbabwe last week to assess the conditions for next month's tour. ECB chairman David Morgan said the board is satisfied "appropriate safety and security measures will be in place to protect the England touring party and officials."

The 12-day tour begins November 26. England is scheduled to play five one-day internationals in Zimbabwe before a five-test series in neighboring South Africa.

England's tour to Zimbabwe has been dogged by controversy. English fast bowler Steve Harmison refused to be considered for the tour in protest of the regime of President Robert Mugabe. Cricket in Zimbabwe was also troubled by a lengthy dispute between players and selectors over alleged racism.

The International Cricket Council cleared Zimbabwe's Cricket Union of racism on October 17.

Some information for this story provided by AP and AFP.