Accessibility links

Three Militants Identified in US Consulate Attack


Authorities in Saudi Arabia have identified three of the militants killed in Monday's terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Jeddah.

The Saudi Interior Ministry says the three were not on a most wanted list of suspected al-Qaida sympathizers issued by Saudi authorities last year. Authorities are still trying to identify a fourth dead militant, while the name of a fifth militant taken into custody was not released.

The militants stormed the consulate with grenades, triggering a gunbattle with Saudi security forces. Five non-American staff members died in the attack.

The United States says it is boosting security at its diplomatic missions in Saudi Arabia due to Monday's attack. The Jeddah consulate remains closed Tuesday.

Some information for this story provided by Reuters and AFP.

XS
SM
MD
LG