Accessibility links

Kremlin-Backed Chechen Government Dismisses Purported Rebel Ceasefire Offer


Chechnya's Kremlin-backed government has dismissed a purported separatist statement pledging to observe a ceasefire throughout this month.

Russian media quote Chechen President Alu Alkhanov as describing the declaration as a "trick" and an attempt by the separatists to gain attention.

A web site linked to Chechen separatists posted the ceasefire offer Wednesday said to be from their top leaders Aslan Maskhadov and Shamil Basayev.

Meanwhile, an independent British television station has announced plans to broadcast an interview with Mr. Basayev in which he is said to warn of more terrorist attacks in Russia.

Russian officials have demanded that the station not air the segment, calling it irresponsible to spread the views of a wanted terrorist.

Mr. Basayev has taken responsibility for a number of bloody attacks, including the siege of a school last year that led to the deaths of more than 330 people.

Some information for this story provided by AP and AFP.

XS
SM
MD
LG