Accessibility links

Iraqi Group Claims Responsibility for Funeral Bombing


A previously-unknown group in Iraq has claimed responsibility for last week's bomb attack on a Shi'ite funeral that killed at least 50 people and wounded 80 others.

In an internet statement Sunday, the group said it carried out the attack to demonstrate opposition to Shi'ites who are set to take control of Iraq's new government this week.

Separately, U.S. officials say two American civilian security contractors have been killed and a third wounded in a roadside bomb blast south of Baghdad.

Meanwhile, Kurdish negotiators say they are nearing a deal with the dominant Shi'ite alliance on forming a coalition government. Kurdish negotiator Fuad Masoum said the talks will resume Monday in Baghdad - two days before the Iraqi National Assembly convenes for the first time since January elections.

Some information for this report provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.

XS
SM
MD
LG