Accessibility links

One Man Arrested in Failed German Terror Attack


Authorities in Germany say they have detained a Lebanese man suspected of planting explosives on a German train as part of a failed terrorist plot last month.

Federal Prosecutor Monika Harms told reporters that police picked up the 21-year-old man earlier Saturday at the main railway station in the northern city of Kiel, where he had been living and studying. She said the man's fingerprints and DNA matched those taken from one of the suitcases in which the bombs were found.

The suspect is one of two men believed to have planted two homemade explosive devices found on trains in Dortmund and Koblenz. The men were caught on video cameras carrying suitcases containing the bombs onto the trains in Cologne. Authorities say they are continuing the search for the second suspect

The man arrested today will be brought before a federal judge on Sunday.

The devices were found on July 31 on trains heading for Dortmund and Koblenz. They were set to explode ten minutes before the trains reached the stations, but they failed to detonate.

A piece of paper with Arabic script and telephone numbers in Lebanon was found in luggage with one of the bombs.

Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.

XS
SM
MD
LG