Israel's military chief says the month-long conflict with Hezbollah ended with an Israeli victory against the militant group, but not a knockout.
Lieutenant-General Dan Halutz told the Israeli Cabinet at a meeting Sunday that Israeli forces won the battle through a series of achievements, such as damaging Hezbollah's infrastructure in southern Lebanon.
Hezbollah also has declared victory in the conflict by highlighting its resistance against Israeli troops and its survival as a military force. The militant group has so far refused to give up its rockets or other weapons, although it is required to do so by terms of the U.N.-backed ceasefire.
Some Israeli ministers today defended a commando raid in Lebanon Saturday, and warned of more such operations to prevent Hezbollah from getting weapons from other countries.
Israeli officials say the raid was defensive in nature, so it was not a violation of a U.N.-mediated truce.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.