Accessibility links

Danish Court Orders Two Terrorism Suspects Held for a Month


A Danish court has ordered two suspects arrested Tuesday on suspicion of planning terror attacks held for at least four weeks.

But a judge in Copenhagen ruled Wednesday that five others arrested in the sweep must be released if police fail to submit stronger evidence against them in the next 72 hours. The closed day-long hearing for the seven suspects ended early Wednesday.

Authorities have not released details of the alleged plans for attacks in Denmark or the arrests, which took place in an immigrant neighborhood in the city of Odense.

But Justice Minister Lene Espersen said Tuesday that police seized materials used to make explosives. She also said most of the suspects were Danish citizens of foreign origin.

It is the second major terror probe in Denmark since new anti-terror laws were enacted following the 2001 attacks on the United States.

In August, four suspects arrested last year were formally charged with supplying explosives to two men arrested in Denmark for allegedly preparing a terror attack in an unnamed European country. A Bosnian court is hearing the case against three other suspects accused in the case of planning terrorism.

Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP

XS
SM
MD
LG