Accessibility links

US Embassy Convoy in Afghanistan Hit by Suicide Car Bomb


A suicide car bomb attack on a U.S. embassy convoy in Afghanistan's capital, Kabul, has killed one Afghan teenager and injured several other people.

Joe Mellot, a U.S. Embassy spokesman, says Ambassador Ronald Neumann was not in the convoy. But he says several embassy officials and pedestrians were seriously wounded.

Monday's car bombing took place on a busy main road leading to the U.S. base at Bagram. Taleban militants have claimed responsibility for the attack.

It comes as NATO, U.S. and Afghan forces prepare for an increase in attacks from the Taleban.

Last year, a resurgent Taleban movement staged the highest number of suicide bombings and other attacks in Afghanistan since the ouster of the Taleban government by U.S. led forces in 2001.

NATO has launched an offensive in southern Afghanistan to preempt an anticipated spring offensive by Taleban militants.

Some information for this report was provided by AP and Reuters.

XS
SM
MD
LG