Accessibility links

US Military: Search for Missing Soldiers in Iraq to Continue


The U.S. military says the search in Iraq for two missing soldiers will continue, despite a video from an al-Qaida-linked group that claimed to have killed the soldiers.

Military spokesman, Brigadier General Kevin Bergner says coalition and Iraqi forces will use "all means available" to find those responsible for the soldiers' disappearance.

He says the video does not appear to contain definitive evidence about the status of the missing soldiers.

A group called the "Islamic State of Iraq" said in a video posted Monday on the Internet that it killed three U.S. soldiers after capturing them in an attack south of Baghdad last month.

The body of one of the soldiers was found in a canal two weeks ago. The video message said the other two soldiers were killed and buried, but it did not offer proof.

The video also showed the military identity cards of the two missing soldiers.

Meanwhile, the U.S. military says eight American soldiers were wounded Sunday in an attack involving roadside bombs, small arms fire and mortar rounds at a patrol base southeast of Baghdad.

U.S. military forces say at least 14 American soldiers were killed in Iraq in the first three days of June. In May, 127 U.S. troops were killed, making it the third-deadliest month for U.S. forces since the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.

XS
SM
MD
LG