Accessibility links

London Bombing Suspect Pleads Guilty


A Ghanian-born Briton has pleaded guilty to conspiracy in helping plan the failed July 2005 terrorist attacks on London's public transportation system.

Manfo Kwaku Asiedu is the last of six defendants tried in the case. A London court set November 19 as his sentencing date.

Monday, a London court sentenced another of the conspirators Adel Yahya to six years and nine months in prison after he pleaded guilty to charges of possessing information useful to terrorists.

In July, a jury failed to convict the two men on the conspiracy charges. Both had been scheduled for retrial next week.

During the earlier trial, a London court sentenced four other suspects, Muktar Said Ibrahim, Ramzi Mohammed, Yassin Omar and Hussein Osman, who are all of African background, to life in prison for their roles in the attacks. The judge said each must spend 40 years in prison before becoming eligible for parole.

The failed plot was attempted two weeks after suicide bombers killed 52 commuters in the British capital.

All of the accused had said the devices they used were harmless and intended to protest Britain's role in the war in Iraq.

Some information for this report was provided by AP and Reuters.

XS
SM
MD
LG