The Ugandan government and rebels of the Lord's Resistance Army have agreed to extend a cease-fire for one month so that peace talks can continue.
The cease-fire was due to expire Thursday, but the two sides extended it until the end of February.
Peace talks between the two sides have started and stopped several times since July 2006. However, since the talks began, violence in northern Uganda has virtually stopped, ending almost two decades of conflict.
In December, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni accused rebel leader Joseph Kony of not taking the peace talks seriously, alleging that he killed his top deputy involved in the peace negotiations.
Last week, Kony indicated for the first time that he indeed killed his deputy, Vincent Otti.
Kony told Ugandan radio station Mega FM that he "took action" against Otti, without specifying the action.
In a further hint, he said Otti's fate is an internal matter, adding that no one would have a say if President Museveni killed one of his soldiers.
Twenty years of conflict in northern Uganda has killed thousands and at one point forced more than 1.5 million people into displaced persons camps. Many of those people have gone home since the government and the rebels reached their cease-fire.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and Reuters.