Accessibility links

Italian Judge Orders Resumption of CIA Kidnapping Trial


An Italian judge has ordered the resumption of the trial of U.S. and Italian intelligence agents accused of kidnapping a terrorism suspect.

The judge in Milan had adjourned the trial last year to give the country's highest court an opportunity to rule on whether the prosecutors had violated state secrecy laws in building their case. But Wednesday the judge allowed proceedings to resume without a final ruling.

Twenty-six Americans, the former head of Italy's intelligence service, General Nicolo Pollari, and six other Italians face charges of abducting an Egyptian imam, Osama Moustafa Hassan Nasr, also known as Abu Omar, from Milan in 2003 and flying him to Egypt where he says he was imprisoned, interrogated, and tortured.

The Americans are being tried in absentia. The Italian government has not asked for their extradition, and the U.S. has said it will refuse any such request.

Some information for this report was provided by AFP and Reuters.

XS
SM
MD
LG