China reported progress with its earthquake relief efforts, but survivors showed frustration with the government's response. As Daniel Schearf reports from Dujiangyan, time is running out for the estimated 40,000 people still buried under buildings, and the death toll of 19,500 is expected to rise.
China's official Xinhua news agency reported roads leading to Wenchuan and Beichuan Counties, the hardest hit from Monday's quake, have been repaired, allowing hundreds of rescue workers to finally reach the areas.
Skies were clear, after days of heavy rains prevented emergency food and medical drops, and frustrated efforts to get emergency workers into the quake zone.
Authorities say 90 helicopters are working around the clock airlifting supplies and evacuating quake survivors.
Huang Shande is a Chinese Canadian who survived the quake in Wenchuan with just a few bruises and cuts. He says he walked for hours to get help in Dujiangyan town.
He says after the quake struck nothing was visible because the surrounding hills were knocked down, creating a thick cloud of dust.
In Dujiangyan quake survivors were showing frustration with the government's response.
Relatives of people buried under the last remaining corner of an apartment complex begged Chengdu fire fighters to keep looking for survivors. But rescue workers said they needed to move on to help others who were more likely to be alive.
Residents now homeless complained about the government's response time and lack of emergency supplies.
Beijing has appealed for Chinese citizens to help with the shortage by donating shovels, hammers, cranes and other tools to help with rescue work.
Authorities ordered another 101 helicopters and 30,000 soldiers to take part in rescue efforts, bringing the total number of emergency workers to 130,000.
But, many roads are still blocked and hope is beginning to fade for the many thousands still trapped under residential, school, and office buildings.
A volunteer rescue worker said Wednesday in Dujiangyan they had been digging through the rubble of a building since morning, but had not rescued any survivors. He says they heard someone's voice coming from under the rubble and believe there are at least five people still under the building who may be alive.
But a few hours later rescue workers only pulled lifeless bodies from the concrete mess.
Millions of dollars in international assistance have been pledged to China. Beijing has accepted an offer from Japan for an emergency response team that included sniffer dogs for finding survivors.
Authorities say Monday's 7.9 magnitude quake affected 10 million people in Sichuan Province. Tens of thousands have been left homeless.