The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor says he is pursuing a new case against senior Sudanese officials believed to be involved in the Darfur conflict.
Luis Moreno-Ocampo told reporters Friday he will announce details when he briefs the United Nations Security Council next week. He suggested the officials involved are at an even higher level than Sudan's state minister for humanitarian affairs, Ahmed Haroun.
The International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Haroun and militia leader Ali Kosheib last year, charging them with 51 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.
The two men are accused of targeting civilians in attacks on four West Darfur villages in 2003 and 2004.
Moreno-Ocampo is set to address the Security Council on the situation in Darfur on June 5, around the same time the council's senior officers are due to visit Khartoum.
Five years of fighting in the region between rebels, the Sudanese government and government-backed militias have displaced some 2.5 million people and killed up to 300,000 others.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.