Accessibility links

US Condemns Attack on Cuban Bloggers


US Condemns Attack on Cuban Bloggers

US Condemns Attack on Cuban Bloggers

<!-- IMAGE -->

The U.S. government says it "strongly deplores" the attacks on three Cuban bloggers last week in Havana.

State Department spokesman Ian Kelly issued a statement Monday condemning the assault against bloggers Yoani Sanchez, Orlando Luis Pardo and Claudia Cadelo. Cuban government agents allegedly detained and beat the three activists as they made their way to a peaceful demonstration.

The Cuban government has not commented on the incident.

Sanchez has won international awards for her blog "Generation Y." She says she was snatched off the street, beaten and shoved into a car. She says she was released a short time later.

The U.S. State Department says it has expressed its concern about the alleged beatings to the Cuban government, and it will continue to check on the well-being and medical care of the victims.

Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.

XS
SM
MD
LG