Accessibility links

DR-Congo Rebels Ready to Hand Over Moliro - 2002-03-21

The Rwandan-backed Congolese Rally for Democracy says it is ready to comply with a U.N. Security Council resolution and pull out of Moliro if U.N. peacekeepers are deployed in the town, which rebels took last week from government forces.

Meanwhile, Congo's U.N. representative, Ileka Atoki, told VOA Wednesday the government is ready to resume talks on the country's future in South Africa in light of the Council resolution. The government had pulled out of the Sun City talks last week, citing the rebel attack on Moliro.

On Tuesday, the Security Council voted unanimously to condemn the taking of the town, which is on the southern end of Lake Tanganyka. The resolution said none of the warring parties can make military gains under the terms of last year's U.N.-monitored cease-fire.

The resolution also urged Rwanda to use its influence to bring about the RCD's withdrawal from Moliro.

The three-and-one-half year war in Congo has effectively split the country in two.

Some information for this report provided by Reuters and AFP.