Shots were reportedly fired Saturday morning near a U.S. military convoy outside of Kuwait City, but there were no reports of injuries.
A U.S. military spokesman said the gunfire erupted as the convoy traveled on an overpass just outside Kuwait City. No one was injured, the spokesman said, and no further details were available immediately as to who fired the shots.
The French news agency, AFP, quoted a diplomatic source as saying a license plate number had been passed on to Kuwaiti security officials.
The incident was the latest in a series of shootings involving Americans in Kuwait. Four days ago, a suspected Muslim extremist shot and killed an American civilian employee working at Camp Doha, and seriously injured another.
Camp Doha is the main U.S. base in Kuwait. Currently, there are thousands of American civilian and military personnel based there, as the United States builds up resources in the region for a possible war with Iraq.