Accessibility links

South Africa Withdraws From Cricket Tournament in UAE - 2003-03-25


South Africa has withdrawn from a triangular one-day cricket tournament at Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates because of concerns over safety following the outbreak of war in Iraq.

Gerald Majola, the chief executive of the United Cricket Board of South Africa, made the announcement Monday. He said his organization received an advisory from the country's Department of Foreign Affairs informing them not to travel to the Gulf region under the current circumstances.

Majola said the cricket board values its players and officials and cannot continue with the tour when there is concern about their safety.

However, he said the board was holding discussions with organizers in hopes of working out alternative venues or dates for the tournament. The South African squad had been scheduled to play in the triangular tournament with Pakistan and Sri Lanka from April 1-10.

XS
SM
MD
LG