Nigeria withdrew its bid to host the 2010 World Cup football finals on Monday and said it would instead support the bid of South Africa.
In a statement Monday, Sports Minister Musa Mohammed told reporters the government made the decision because it was overburdened by other commitments and had a lack of funds. Nigeria is scheduled to host the All-Africa Games October 4 to 18 and the Commonwealth Heads of Governments meeting in December.
Nigeria had been expected to make its formal bid presentation to football's world governing body (FIFA) in Zurich by Tuesday's deadline. South Africa, Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Libya have already made bids.
The 2010 tournament was promised to Africa, which has never hosted a World Cup, after South Africa lost out by one vote to Germany in its bid host the 2006 finals.