Accessibility links

Red Sox Cancel Victory Rally Due to Security Concerns

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino says that a celebratory parade for baseball's World Series champion Boston Red Sox would be held on Saturday, but a post-parade rally would not take place because of security concerns.

Menino told reporters that public safety is his top concern. City officials want to avoid a repeat of an incident during last week's celebration after the Red Sox beat the New York Yankees to reach the World Series. One woman was killed when police fired pepper spray pellets into a raucous crowd.

Officials have estimated that five million fans would turn out for the parade.

The Red Sox returned to Fenway Park Thursday morning to meet throngs of cheering fans. Boston newspapers doubled their printings to accommodate demand for editions marking Boston's first World Series title since 1918.