Accessibility links

Rwanda President Retains Right to Strike Congo

Rwanda's President Paul Kagame says he retains the right to strike neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo if no progress is made to disarm Rwandan Hutu rebels based in eastern Congo.

President Kagame told reporters Saturday that Rwanda is not gunning for a fight, but can and will take action to defend itself.

Earlier this week, the U.N. Security Council urged Rwanda to show restraint, warning a cross-border incursion would seriously threaten stability and peace efforts in the region.

President Kagame has criticized U.N. peacekeepers in Congo for failing to disarm the Hutu rebels, who he says continue to threaten Rwanda.

Nigerian President - and AU chairman - Olusegun Obasanjo will try to hold talks with Mr. Kagame and his Congolese counterpart over rising tensions in the next few days.

Rwanda has twice invaded Congo in 1996 and 1998 to hunt down ethnic Hutu extremists who took part in Rwanda's 1994 genocide and then fled across the border into eastern Congo.

Its second invasion triggered a five year war in Congo that drew in several foreign armies and local rebel groups.

Some information for this report provided by AFP and AP.