Accessibility links

Egypt Orders News Blackout About Attack on Mexicans

  • Associated Press

 Egyptian journalists wait for information about tourists who were injured Sunday while on a desert safari trip, in front of the Dar Al Fouad Hospital in Cairo, Egypt, Sept. 14, 2015.

Egyptian journalists wait for information about tourists who were injured Sunday while on a desert safari trip, in front of the Dar Al Fouad Hospital in Cairo, Egypt, Sept. 14, 2015.

The office of Egypt's top prosecutor has issued a gag order on the investigation into the deadly attack this week in which Egyptian forces mistakenly killed eight Mexican tourists on a desert safari and wounded six others.

A statement from the prosecutor's office released on Wednesday evening says the ban applies to all media - print, radio, online, and television, both domestic and international.

It says the order will remain in effect until the investigation by the Egyptian authorities into the incident is concluded.

It also says the ban does not include statements from the top prosecutor's office.

Earlier, Mexico's foreign minister said her country is demanding a full investigation by the Egyptian authorities into the "tragic and unprecedented events" surrounding the attack by Egyptian forces earlier this week.

Secretary of Foreign Affairs Claudia Ruiz Massieu came to Cairo “to be at the side of the Mexican injured victims,” who are being treated in a Cairo hospital. She told reporters she is happy that the injured Mexicans “are stable ... they are increasingly better.”

Ruiz Massieu said she is also holding meetings “at the highest level” to express “the importance for Mexico and its people to have a thorough and comprehensive, prompt and transparent investigation that would allow us to know what actually happened last Sunday,” and determine responsibility for the tragic incident.

She spoke at a news conference Wednesday with her Egyptian counterpart.

Ruiz Massieu expressed her condolences to the Egyptian people, who also lost several citizens in the attack.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said the killing of the Mexican tourists by Egyptian forces was “regrettable,” but that he could not provide fuller details of the incident at this point in the investigation.

Egyptian officials initially claimed a convoy of SUVs carrying the Mexican visitors had wandered into an off-limits area of Egypt's western desert. But in a subsequent open letter to the Mexican people, Foreign Minister Shoukry said the facts of the case were “confusing.” He promised a thorough and impartial investigation.

XS
SM
MD
LG