Accessibility links

Charges Recommended in Deadly Phillipine Hostage Crisis

The Philippine justice minister says she will recommend charges be filed against 10 people in connection with the hijacking of a passenger bus that left eight Hong Kong tourists dead.

Leila de Lima told reporters Thursday the names of those people who should face punishment will be included in a report on the August 23 incident that will be submitted to President Benigno Aquino Friday.

De Lima said the list includes police officers, and that the rank of those facing charges are "high enough." She also said journalists could be on the list.

A fired policeman seized control of the bus and demanded to be reinstated. The standoff ended after the hijacker began shooting. Police tried unsuccessfully tried to break into the bus for more than an hour after the gunman began shooting.

De Lima said last month that some of the victims in the hijacking and bungled rescue attempt may have been shot by police, instead of the hijacker.

But she now says further investigation shows all those killed were shot by the hijacker.

The police's handling of the incident, which was broadcast live on international television, has drawn criticism from officials in Hong Kong and Beijing.

Some information for this report was provided by AP and AFP.