The two candidates in Guinea's run-off presidential election have signed an agreement to run "peaceful" campaigns and respect the official election results.
Former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo and longtime opposition leader Alpha Conde signed the document in Burkina Faso's capital, Ouagadougou, on Friday.
In it, they promised to maintain good conduct and mutual respect during their campaigns, which kick off on Sunday before a scheduled September 19 vote.
The candidates pledged to respect the independence of Guinea's electoral commission. And they said they will respect the election results and encourage their followers to do the same, while keeping any challenges within the legal system.
The agreement was negotiated with Burkina Faso's president, Blaise Compaore. Mr. Compaore was delegated by the Economic Community of West African States to mediate the political turmoil in Guinea last year.
Diallo won 44 percent of the vote in the first-round election on June 27. Conde took 18 percent. But the results were only certified after several weeks of protests from first-round candidates.
Accusations of campaign misconduct for round two have already begun. Diallo said last week some local government officials are unfairly favoring Conde.
The election is meant to return Guinea to civilian rule nearly two years after the military seized power in a coup.
In December 2009 some 150 people died and Guinea fell deeper into political turmoil when soldiers opened fire on an opposition protest.
The West African country had previously been run by two presidents who ruled with an iron fist and suppressed human rights.
Some information for this report was provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.