Accessibility links

DRC Troops Repel Attack on Kinshasa Military Base

  • VOA News

Gunmen attacked a military camp in the Democratic Republic of Congo's capital on Tuesday, but the government says the situation was quickly brought under control.

In an interview with VOA's French to Africa Service, government spokesman Lambert Mende said a "small band" of attackers tried to enter Camp Tshatshi in Kinshasa but were stopped.

He said authorities have not yet determined whether the attackers were "terrorists or thieves."

A written message on DRC state television told viewers there was "no need to panic." Mende said troops were patrolling the city to reassure citizens.

Gunmen loyal to an evangelical Christian pastor who is opposed to President Joseph Kabila assaulted the same base and briefly captured the state TV station in December of last year. The government said more than 100 people were killed as its forces repelled those attacks.

Political tension has been rising in the DRC amid speculation that President Kabila may try to change the constitution and run for a third term in 2016.