Rescuers in Malaysia's Sabah state on Borneo island are searching for six people who disappeared on Mount Kinabalu after a magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck Friday, sending rubble and boulders down the slopes of the mountain, killing at least 13 people.
Ranau district police chief Mohamad Farhan Lee Abdullah on Saturday that two bodies were recovered Friday night, including a 30-year-old local guide and a 12-year-old Singaporean girl who was part of a group of 38 primary school students and two teachers from Singapore.
Eleven more bodies were found Saturday. It was unclear of their nationalities.
Most of the other climbers made it down the mountain in the darkness early Saturday, some with broken limbs and one in a coma.
Authorities said 20 people were injured and had been admitted to local Malaysian hospitals.
About 60 rescuers and four helicopters were combing the mountain Saturday, where loose rocks and boulders that fell during the quake blocked part of the main route.
Nearly 200 climbers were on the mountain when the quake hit after 7 a.m. local time (2300 UTC)) Friday. The quake damaged several buildings across Sabah state.
Climbing on the mountain will be suspended for three weeks to allow for maintenance work, and flags will be flown at half-staff in Sabah Monday to mourn the victims, Tourism Minister Masidi Manjun said.
Some material for this report came from AP and AFP.