Accessibility links

Migrant Boat Sinks Off Libyan Coast, 200 Dead

  • VOA News

A view of the bodies of dead migrants that were recovered by the Libyan coastguard after a boat sank off the coastal town of Zuwara, west of Tripoli, August 27, 2015.

A view of the bodies of dead migrants that were recovered by the Libyan coastguard after a boat sank off the coastal town of Zuwara, west of Tripoli, August 27, 2015.

A boat full of migrants that launched from Libya and was headed to Italy has sunk. Authorities fear about 200 people are dead.

Officials say Libya's coast guard rescued another 200 from the doomed vessel off the shores of the Libyan city of Zuwara by late Thursday.

Security officials said most of the migrants aboard the ship were from sub-Saharan Africa, Pakistan, Syria, Morocco and Bangladesh.

One migrant told Reuters news agency the boat was in bad condition. He said the route from Libya used to be called the "route of death," but now it is known as "the grave of the Mediterranean Sea."

Authorities say at least 2,400 people have died trying to reach Europe by boat this year, a toll higher than this time last year.

Show comments

XS
SM
MD
LG