Accessibility links

NATO Strike Kills Taliban Commander in Northern Afghanistan

Police say a NATO strike has killed a Taliban commander involved in the suicide attack on a USAID contractor in northern Afghanistan earlier this month.

NATO says the Taliban commander, who was targeted Thursday in Kunduz province, openly claimed responsibility for the July 2 attack on the U.S. contractor's compound in Kunduz city that killed five people.

In western Farah province, NATO says a joint Afghan-international force killed a Taliban commander and a "number of" insurgents during a raid on a militant training camp on Thursday.

The alliance says the commander, Mullah Akhtar, was responsible for brining foreign fighters from Iran into Afghanistan.

NATO and Afghan forces are increasingly targeting Taliban leadership during operations throughout Afghanistan.

NATO said Friday that at least 12 Taliban commanders have been killed or captured in the southern province of Helmand since May 1.

Some information for this report was provided by AP.