Accessibility links

Official: 27 Killed in Attacks in Eastern Congo

  • Reuters

At least 27 people were killed in overnight attacks on villages near the eastern Congolese town of Beni, a spokesman for the mayor said on Thursday.

Ewanakawa Nyonyi, spokesman for the mayor of Beni, blamed the attack on Ugandan ADF-NALU rebels who operate in Democratic Republic of Congo's eastern border zone.

A security source in the town confirmed the attacks, saying more than two dozen people had been killed. The source, who asked not to be named, said it was not immediately clear who was responsible.