Turkish authorities say five suspects have been arrested in connection with the deadly suicide bombing in Istanbul’s Sultanahmet Square that killed 10 Germans and wounded 15 other people.
Speaking to reporters in Istanbul, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said police arrested four more suspects Wednesday, adding that Islamic State’s links to the attack had been confirmed.
Islamic State, however, has not claimed responsibility.
A view of the Sultan Ahmed Mosque, right, better known as the Blue Mosque in the historic Sultanahmet district of Istanbul, the area of an explosion, Jan. 12, 2016.
Earlier, Interior Minister Efkan Ala said that police detained a man late Tuesday, but did not give any further details on the suspect's identity or possible role.
Ala also said the bomber was not on a list of people wanted by Turkey. Authorities identified him as Nabil Fadli and said he was born in Saudi Arabia in 1988.
Fadli had recently entered Turkey from Syria as a refugee, according to the Turkish migration office.
Meanwhile, German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere, who traveled to Istanbul immediately after the attack, told reporters that there is no sign that Germans were specifically targeted. He added that he sees no reason to refrain from traveling in Turkey.
Accompanied by Davutoglu, Maiziere Wednesday visited an Istanbul hospital, where the wounded from Tuesday’s suicide bombing were being treated.
Turkish police also arrested a number of suspected Islamic State militants during raids Wednesday, including three Russian nationals, in addition to several dozen detained Tuesday.
The Sultanahmet Square is Istanbul's main sightseeing area and home of the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia museum.