Accessibility links

US to Work with Japan on Sailor Rape Investigation

  • VOA News

Commander of U.S. Forces in Japan Lt. Gen. Salvatore Angelella, right, speaks to the media as U.S. Ambassador to Japan John Roos looks on at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, October 19, 2012.

Commander of U.S. Forces in Japan Lt. Gen. Salvatore Angelella, right, speaks to the media as U.S. Ambassador to Japan John Roos looks on at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, October 19, 2012.

The U.S. is promising to continue working with Japanese police investigating allegations that two U.S. sailors raped a woman in Okinawa earlier this week.

In a statement released Thursday, the U.S. said it will soon unveil measures to "ensure responsible behavior" for troops, while showing their commitment to maintaining positive relationships with local communities that host U.S. forces.

On Thursday, the two 23-year-old sailors accused of raping the woman were whisked away from Okinawa's police station in a van with tinted windows. Both men remain in Japanese custody.

The attack allegedly occurred in the parking lot of her apartment building early Tuesday morning.

Japan's Defense Minister Satoshi Morimoto told Okinawa's Governor Kazuhiro Nakaima the alleged attack was "an extremely heinous and despicable crime".

The case has stirred anger in Japan, where more than 45,000 U.S. troops are stationed.

The majority of the American service members are based in Okinawa.

Some information for this report was provided by AP and AFP.
XS
SM
MD
LG