Haitian-born entertainer Wyclef Jean is officially ending his bid to become president of Haiti.
Jean's announcement was made Tuesday in a statement that said he will focus instead on a new album.
Last month, Haiti's elections board said Jean did not meet the five-year residency requirement needed to run in the November elections. Officials also said the ruling barring him from running was final and could not be appealed.
The 40-year-old Jean was among 15 candidates disqualified from running in the election. Officials approved 19 other candidates.
Wyclef Jean was among the first celebrities to join aid efforts in Haiti following the January 12 earthquake that killed more than 200,000 people and left more than 1 million others homeless. He already had been providing aid to his homeland through the Yele Haiti foundation, which he established in 2005.
His foundation raised millions of dollars for Haiti following the quake. However, the organization faced criticism for alleged financial irregularities, and hired a new accounting firm after the allegations surfaced. Jean also has faced questions about taxes he owes in the United States.
Some information for this report was provided by AP.