News

Two NATO Soldiers Killed, One Wounded in Eastern Afghanistan

NATO says two of its soldiers were killed and another wounded by two roadside bombs in eastern Afghanistan Thursday.

NATO said the blasts occurred within 30 minutes of one another. No further details were immediately available.

Also Thursday, NATO defense and military chiefs met in Canada to discuss ways to make up shortfalls in troops and equipment in Afghanistan.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said NATO commanders are asking for 3,400 more trainers for the Afghan army and police. He said the United States can fill some of the positions but does not have the ability right now to fill all of them.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon says a criminal investigation has been started into last month's gunbattle between U.S. troops and Afghan militants following a suicide attack on a U.S. convoy.

A spokesman for the U.S. Central Command said the commander thought there were reasons why he should pass on the case to the Navy's criminal investigative unit.

Fighting in eastern Nangarhar province on March 4 killed eight Afghan civilians and wounded 34 others.

In another development, an Afghan official said U.S. and Afghan forces have killed 35 Taleban militants in a battle in the south of the country.

The spokesman for Zabul province's governor said the fighting erupted late Wednesday in the Shahjoy district. He said Afghan forces called in support from U.S. warplanes after Taleban militants attacked.

The official says no casualties were reported among the Afghan forces.

Some information for this report was provided by AP and Reuters.

 

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Feature Story

Video Fading Scars, Renewed Hope

Brooklyn, New York man, an innocent victim of a drive-by attack, blogs about recovery More

Special Reports