Former Cuban President Fidel Castro has accused the United States of complicity in the Colombian government's attack on FARC rebels inside Ecuador last Saturday.
In an essay published in the Cuban Communist Party newspaper, Granma, Mr. Castro said "a monstrous crime" was committed in Ecuador. He accused the United States of providing the weapons and the technology for Colombia to stage the attack on the rebels.
Mr. Castro's comments echoed accusations by his ally Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez that Washington was responsible for the operation, as well as the growing regional dispute that has resulted.
Colombia and the United States classify the FARC as a terrorist group. Mr. Castro said accusations against the rebels do not justify the attack.
The essay was one of many recent columns and announcements from Mr. Castro, who resigned as Cuban president two weeks ago. He transferred power to his brother Raul, who had been serving as acting president since Fidel Castro underwent intestinal surgery in July 2006.
Some information for this report was provided by AP and Reuters.