News

US Orders Non-Essential Personnel Out of Guinea

TEXT SIZE - +
<!-- IMAGE -->

The United States has ordered non-essential personnel at its embassy in Guinea to leave the country, following this week's deadly crackdown on opposition protesters.

A warning issued Thursday urges Americans to avoid travel to Guinea and says that because of the security situation, the embassy in the capital, Conakry, may be forced to close without advance notice.

A local rights group says at least 157 people were killed and 1,200 wounded when security forces attacked protesters at a stadium in Conakry on Monday.  

Government officials put the death toll at 57, and say most of those people were trampled to death in a stampede.

Guinea's military leaders have called for a government of national unity, but opposition leaders are giving the idea a cool reception.  Sidya Toure, leader of the Union of Republic Forces party, told VOA this is "not a subject the parties are now discussing."

 


Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Feature Story

Police stand by near the finish line ahead of Monday&#39;s 118th Boston Marathon, Sunday, April 20, 2014.

Video Following Last Year’s Bombing, Thousands to Participate in Boston Marathon

The men's field includes five of the top six finishers from last year, including defending champion Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia More