World News

Afghans Say 5 Civilians Killed in NATO Strike

TEXT SIZE - +
Some residents of eastern Afghanistan are angry with the United States after five civilians were killed in what Afghan officials say was a NATO airstrike.

The French news agency quotes local officials Saturday saying three children were among those killed in the overnight strike in Nangarhar province.

NATO called the attack a "precision strike" and said its initial reports indicate there were no civilian casualties.

Civilian deaths have long been a source of friction between the Afghan government and the U.S.-led NATO troops, who are winding down operations as they prepare to withdraw by the end of next year.

In another development Saturday, NATO says a contracted security guard shot and killed a NATO servicemember in southern Afghanistan.

The international coalition says the gunman has been killed, and the incident is under investigation.

Feature Story

Police stand by near the finish line ahead of Monday's 118th Boston Marathon, Sunday, April 20, 2014.

Video Following Last Year’s Bombing, Thousands to Participate in Boston Marathon

The men's field includes five of the top six finishers from last year, including defending champion Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia More