News / Africa

Guinea Announces New Run-Off Election Date

Journalist Mamadou Dian Balde says this time around the two candidates, Cellou Dalien Diallo and Alpha Conde will accept the new date

People walk in front of posters for the presidential elections and instructions on the voting card, Conakry, 25 Jun 2010
People walk in front of posters for the presidential elections and instructions on the voting card, Conakry, 25 Jun 2010

Multimedia

Audio
James Butty

Guinea's government has announced that the country’s long-delayed presidential run-off election will take place on November 7.

A government official made the announcement Wednesday night on television.

Guinea's second round vote had been postponed four times since July because of political disputes, logistical problems, and election-related street violence.

Mamadou Dian Balde, editor-in-chief of the Independent and Democrat newspapers in the Guinean capital, Conakry, said he believes this time around the two candidates, former Prime Minister Cellou Dalien Diallo and longtime opposition leader Alpha Conde will accept the new date.

“General Sekouba Konate has announced that the second part of the presidential election will take place on November 7. That is official. I think that the two candidates Alpha Conde and Cellou Dalien Diallo will agree with this new date,” he said.

Supporters of Cellou Dalein Diallo, the leader of the opposition Guinean Union of Democratic Forces, and presidential candidate attend a meeting with their leaders at the cultural palace in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, 09 May 2010
Supporters of Cellou Dalein Diallo, the leader of the opposition Guinean Union of Democratic Forces, and presidential candidate attend a meeting with their leaders at the cultural palace in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, 09 May 2010

Earlier this week, the electoral commission proposed October 31 (this Sunday) for the election, but that date was not ratified by Guinea's acting president General Sekouba Konate.

Balde said candidate Diallo objected to the October 31 date because of the violence days earlier that he said had been carried out against his supporters.

Balde said although the violence had since stopped, many Guineans are concerned it will resume after the results of the election have been announced.

“The violence has been stopped since yesterday [Tuesday], but people are afraid because they think that after the election, the results will be a problem, and people think that there will be violence again,” Balde said.

Balde said the political tension in Guinea has been high, especially between the Malinke and Fulah ethnic groups.

“People want to go to election, but since one month, the Malinke people and Fulah people are not on good terms now because of this electoral campaign. So that’s why the situation had been deteriorating,” he said.

He said Guinea’s new electoral commission chief General Siaka Toumani Sangare, has assured the government and the Guinean people that his commission is ready to have a free and fair election despite many logistical problems.

Balde expressed uncertainty that Guinean security forces can keep the peace on election day.

“Guinean security forces don’t like to keep peace because the violence of this week, they were there but witnesses said that the armed forces didn’t do anything to keep the peace,” Balde said.

You May Like

Karzai's Legacy: Missed Opportunities?

Afghanistan's president leaves behind a much different nation than the one he inherited, yet his legacy from 13 years in power is getting mixed reviews More

US Urges Restraint in Hong Kong Protests

Protesters angered by Beijing's decision to only approve candidates that it sanctions for Hong Kong's leadership elections in 2017 More

Archive of Forgotten UCLA Speeches Offers Snapshot of History

Recordings of prominent voices in social change, politics, science and literature from 1960s, early 1970s now available on YouTube More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Treasure Hunters Seek 'Hidden Treasure' in Central Kenyai
X
Gabe Joselow
September 29, 2014 6:20 PM
Could a cave in a small village in central Kenya be the site of buried treasure? A rumor of riches, left behind by colonialists, has some residents dreaming of wealth, while others see it as a dangerous hoax. VOA's Gabe Joselow has the story.
Video

Video Treasure Hunters Seek 'Hidden Treasure' in Central Kenya

Could a cave in a small village in central Kenya be the site of buried treasure? A rumor of riches, left behind by colonialists, has some residents dreaming of wealth, while others see it as a dangerous hoax. VOA's Gabe Joselow has the story.
Video

Video Iran's Rouhani Skeptical on Syria Strikes

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani expressed skepticism Friday that U.S.-led airstrikes in Iraq and Syria could crush Islamic State militants. From New York, VOA’s Margaret Besheer reports the president was also hopeful that questions about Iran’s nuclear program could be resolved soon.
Video

Video US House Speaker: Congress Should Debate Authorization Against IS

As wave after wave of U.S. airstrikes target Islamic State militants, the speaker of the Republican-controlled House of Representatives says he would be willing to call Congress back into session to debate a formal, broad authorization for the use of military force. VOA’s Michael Bowman reports from Washington, where legislators left town 10 days ago for a seven-week recess.
Video

Video Ebola Patients Find No Treatment at Sierra Leone Holding Center

At a holding facility in Makeni, central Sierra Leone, dozens of sick people sit on the floor in an empty university building. They wait in filthy conditions. It's a 16-hour drive by ambulance to Kailahun Ebola treatment center. Adam Bailes was there and reports on what he says are some of the worst situations he has seen since the beginning of this Ebola outbreak. And he says it appears case numbers may already be far worse than authorities acknowledge.
Video

Video Identifying Bodies Found in Texas Border Region

Thousands of immigrants have died after crossing the border from Mexico into remote areas of the southwestern United States in recent years. Local officials in south Texas alone have found hundreds of unidentified bodies and buried them in mass graves in local cemeteries. Now an anthropologist and her students at Baylor University have been exhuming bodies and looking for clues to identify them. VOA’s Greg Flakus has more from Waco, Texas.
Video

Video Ebola Robs Liberians of Chance to Say Good-Bye to Loved Ones

In Liberia, where Ebola has killed more than 1,500 people, authorities have worked hard to convince people to allow specialized burial teams to take away dead bodies. But these safety measures, while necessary, make it hard for people to say good bye to their loved ones. VOA's Anne Look reports on the tragedy from Liberia.
Video

Video Reconstruction? What Reconstruction? Life After War in Gaza

It’s been a month since Israel and the Palestinians agreed to a ceasefire to end 52 days of an air and tank war that left 60,000 homes in Gaza damaged or destroyed and 110,000 homeless. Sharon Behn reports that lack of reconstruction is leading to despair.
Video

Video US, Saudi Arabia and UAE Hit Islamic State's Oil Revenue

The United States, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have bombed oil facilities operated by Islamic State militants in Syria. It was a truly collaborative effort, with the two Arab countries dropping the majority of the bombs. The 12 refineries targeted were estimated to generate as much as $2 million per day for the terrorist group. VOA Pentagon correspondent Carla Babb has the story.
Video

Video Russia's Food Sanctions Raise Price Worries, Hopes for Domestic Production

Russia retaliated against Western sanctions imposed for its actions in Ukraine by halting food imports from the West. The temporary import ban on food from Australia, the European Union, Norway and North America has Russian consumers concerned that they could face a sharp increase in food prices. But in an ironic twist, the restrictions aimed at the Kremlin have made Russia's domestic food producers hopeful this can boost their business. VOA's Daniel Schearf reports from Moscow.
Video

Video Washington to Pyongyang: 'Shut This Evil System Down'

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is calling on North Korea to shut down prison camps and other human rights abuses following a United Nations Commission of Inquiry into "widespread and systematic human rights violations." VOA State Department Correspondent Scott Stearns reports from the United Nations.
Colonel Steve ‘Spiros’ Pisanos left Greece and came to the U.S. to learn to fly. He flew fighters for the Allies in World War II, narrowly escaping death multiple times.Colonel Steve ‘Spiros’ Pisanos left Greece and came to the U.S. to learn to fly. He flew fighters for the Allies in World War II, narrowly escaping death multiple times.

AppleAndroid