Egyptian authorities have decided against transferring ex-president Hosni Mubarak to a military hospital due to his poor state of health.
Egypt's attorney general said on Tuesday that Mubarak will remain under detention at a hospital in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. Prosecutors were exploring transferring him to a military hospital following a medical exam.
Interior Minister Mansur Essawy said Mubarak's health check "indicated the need for continuous monitoring which is only available in hospitals with highly skilled personnel and equipment."
The 82-year-old ousted leader was hospitalized in Sharm el-Sheikh on April 12 as he was being questioned by prosecutors looking into criminal charges.
Earlier this month, prosecutors announced that the former president and his two sons, Gamal and Alaa, would be detained for 15 days as part of an investigation into corruption and abuse of power.
Investigators said police used excessive force against pro-democracy demonstrators during the 18-day uprising that led to Mubarak's resignation in February.
On Tuesday, the Reuters news agency reported that an Egyptian court adjourned a trial of Egypt's former interior minister on charges of killing anti-government protesters, delaying the verdict.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and Reuters.
|Follow our Middle East reports on Twitter
and discuss them on our Facebook page.