News / Africa

Guinea Presidential Candidates Ready for Sunday's Vote

A soldier sits amidst election posters of Presidential candidate Alpha Conde in the entrance of the Guinean People Rally (RPG) headquarters in Guinea's capital Conakry Saturday 18 Sept. 2010
A soldier sits amidst election posters of Presidential candidate Alpha Conde in the entrance of the Guinean People Rally (RPG) headquarters in Guinea's capital Conakry Saturday 18 Sept. 2010

Both of Guinea's presidential candidates say they are ready to go ahead with Sunday's scheduled run-off, now that military leaders have named a new head of the electoral commission. .

The campaigns of both former prime minister Cellou Diallo and long-time opposition leader Alpha Conde say they are ready to drop their objections to Sunday's poll and finally put this second-round run-off to the voters.

Diallo threatened to boycott the vote if Lounceny Camara was not replaced as head of the electoral commission because Diallo says Camara favors the Conde campaign.  The Conde campaign threatened to boycott the vote if Camara was replaced.

So when Guinea's military ruler General Sekouba Konate named Malian General Siaka Toumani Sangare as the new head of the electoral commission late Tuesday, he kept Lounceny Camara as a deputy chairperson to serve alongside Diallo supporter Hadja Mame Camara as a co-equal deputy chairperson.

Construction engineer Lansana Kourouma says that makes things fair.

Kourouma says it is equal now that Conde and Diallo both have deputy chairpeople.  He says voters are pleased with the appointment of General Sangare, who is an election specialist with the International Organization of the Francophonie and was already a technical assistant to the commission.  Kourouma says he thinks the Malian general will be good for the situation.

Attorney Toure Aboubacar agrees General Sangare's appointment increases the likelihood that Sunday's vote will be held on schedule.

Aboubacar says with a new electoral commission president, everything should go forward and everything with this vote should work.  He says all Guineans who love their country should now accept the things put in place for the vote to advance the country.  Aboubacar says everyone in Guinea really wants to finish this election.

June's first round of voting was relatively peaceful.  The second-round run-off was delayed over legal challenges to the results of that vote, then delayed again last month after violence between Diallo and Conde supporters.

In an interview on state-run television, Guinea's Minister of State Tibou Camara says General Konate's appointment of a new electoral chief clears the last major hurdle to holding this vote.

Camara says there are no technical obstacles to having the second round run-off this Sunday.  He says members of the electoral commission have reassured him that they are ready.  Camara says General Konate has done many things to advance this transition and it is an injustice that the general's commitment to doing the right thing is not recognized by some politicians.

General Konate is trying to return Guinea to civilian rule nearly two years after soldiers took power in a military coup following the death of long-time leader Lansana Conte.

You May Like

China Investigates Former Powerful Security Chief

Former security chief and member of Politburo Standing Committee, Zhou Yongkang, under investigation for suspected 'serious disciplinary violation' More

India, US Look to Reset Ties During Kerry Visit

This week's talks will be first high level interaction between two countries since Prime Minister Narendra Modi took charge More

Video Young African Leadership Program Renamed to Honor Mandela

YALI program, launched by President Obama in 2010, aims to build skills in business, entrepreneurship, public management and civic leadership More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spati
X
Reasey Poch
July 28, 2014 7:18 PM
China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spat

China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video ESA Spacecraft to Land on a Comet

After a long flight through deep space, a European Space Agency probe is finally approaching its target -- a comet millions of kilometers away from earth. Scientists say the mission may lead to some startling discoveries about the origins of the water on earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.
Video

Video Young Africans Arrive in US for Leadership Program

President Barack Obama's Young African Leadership Initiative has brought hundreds of young Africans to the United States for a six-week program aimed at building their knowledge and skills in fields such as public administration and business. Out of the 50,000 young Africans who applied for the program, just one percent was accepted. VOA's Laurel Bowman caught up with some of those who made the cut and has this report.
Video

Video In Honduras, Amnesty Rumors Fuel US Migration Surges

False rumors in Central America are fueling the current surge of undocumented young people being apprehended at the U.S. border. The inaccurate claims suggest the U.S. will give amnesty to young migrants from the region. As VOA's Brian Padden reports from Honduras, these rumors trace back to President Obama's 2012 executive order to halt deportations for some young undocumented immigrants already living in the United States.
Video

Video Students in Business for Themselves

They're only high school students, but they are making accessories for shoes, fabricating backpacks and doing product photography - all through their own businesses. It's the result of a partnership between a non-profit organization that teaches entrepreneurship and their schools. VOA's Mike O'Sullivan and Deyane Moses met the budding entrepreneurs near Los Angeles.
Video

Video Astronauts Train in Underwater Lab

In the world’s only underwater laboratory, four U.S. astronauts train for a planned visit to an asteroid. The lab - called Aquarius- is located five kilometers off Key Largo, in southern Florida. Living in close quarters and making excursions only into the surrounding ocean, they try to simulate the daily routine of a crew that will someday travel to collect samples of a rock orbiting far away from earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.

AppleAndroid