World News

Kenyan Military Spokesman Names Mall Attackers

A Kenyan military spokesman has confirmed the names of four men he says took part in last month's deadly Islamist militant attack on a shopping mall in Kenya.

Major Emmanuel Chirchir says the attackers were Abu Baara al-Sudani, Omar Nabhan, Khattab al-Kene and Umayr, names that were first broadcast by a local Kenyan television station.

He says all four died in the raid.

Closed-circuit television footage obtained by media appeared to show four armed men walking through a store in the Westgate Mall in Nairobi.

Kenyan officials previously said five militants were killed in the raid.

The Somali terrorist group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the raid, which killed at least 67 people not including the attackers. The al-Qaida-linked group said the attack was retaliation for Kenya's military intervention in Somalia.



Al-Shabab has vowed to carry out other acts of violence against Kenya. The rebel group is demanding that Kenyan forces withdraw from Somalia.

Kenyan sent troops to Somalia two years ago to help battle al-Shabab, which has been fighting to turn Somalia into a strict Islamic state.

Featured Story

Rescued migrants arrive at the southern Italian port of Corigliano, Italy, April 15, 2015.

Video Overwhelmed by Migrants, Italy Mulls Action to Stabilize Libya

Amnesty International says multinational concerted humanitarian effort must be enacted to address crisis; decrepit boats continue to bring thousands of new arrivals daily More