World News

Malaysia Rejects Ceasefire Offer by Filipino Muslim Group

Malaysia has rejected a ceasefire proposal by a Philippines-based militant group fighting for control of a resource-rich area on the island of Borneo.

Prime Minister Najib Razak on Thursday said the Filipino Muslim group must surrender unconditionally or risk being eliminated by Malaysian troops.

He was responding to an offer by the group's self-proclaimed sultan, Jamalul Kiram, who earlier in the day announced a unilateral ceasefire and urged Malaysia to reciprocate.

Malaysia on Tuesday launched a military assault to drive the group out of the remote area. But most of the militants are believed to have escaped into the neighboring farmland.

The dispute began in mid-February when around 200 members of the armed group stormed a seaside village and demanded to be recognized as the ancestral owners of the eastern Malaysian state of Sabah. At least 27 people have since died in clashes.



The militants belong to the Sultanate of Sulu, a former Islamic power that once controlled parts of Borneo and the southern Philippines. Although the sultanate lost power about a century ago, the group still claims sovereignty over the area, which it says was illegally merged with Malaysia when it gained independence from Britain.

Feature Story

Turkish Kurds warm themselves around an open fire as they watch the Syrian town of Kobani, near the Mursitpinar border crossing, on the Turkish-Syrian border in the southeastern town of Suruc, Turkey, Oct. 21, 2014.

Photogallery Syrian Kurds Push Back on Turkish Plan

Ankara plan is to allow Peshmerga forces from northern Iraq to transit Turkish territory to enter besieged Syrian border town of Kobani to help in its defense More

Special Reports