News / Africa

Nigeria Will Not Kowtow to ‘Terrorists’, Says Official

A Nigerian soldier lies on the ground after a small blast was heard in the midst of 50th anniversary celebrations of Nigeria's independence at Eagle Square in Abuja, Nigeria, 01 Oct 2010
A Nigerian soldier lies on the ground after a small blast was heard in the midst of 50th anniversary celebrations of Nigeria's independence at Eagle Square in Abuja, Nigeria, 01 Oct 2010

Multimedia

Audio
  • Dr. Aliyu Ii Hong, Nigeria’s Foreign Minister spoke with Clottey

Peter Clottey

Nigeria’s foreign minister said his government is working closely with the South African government as the leader of a militant  group suspected of carrying out last week’s twin car bombings is scheduled to appear before a south African court Monday.

Aliyu Idi Hong assured Nigerians as well as the international community that his government will not rest until those responsible for what he said were terrorist attacks are decisively dealt with.

“With the cooperation of the South African government, they are already investigating and interrogating him (Henry Okah, militant leader). So, we have every confidence to say that God willing they will establish strong linkages (with the attacks).”

Mr. Hong said Nigeria’s security agencies are looking at other options, including the possibility of other people outside the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND).

MEND, a militant group, claimed responsibility for the attacks that killed at least 12 and injured dozens during Nigeria’s 50th independence anniversary celebrations in the capital, Abuja.

In a statement last week, MEND warned it will carry out attacks and called for the evacuation of people near the area of the celebrations.

The militant group denounced the celebrations, saying Nigeria had nothing to celebrate.

Over the weekend, President Goodluck Jonathan said a small external terrorist group carried out the twin bomb attacks despite claims by the militant group, MEND.

Critics say despite the warning, the government failed to act to prevent the attacks, a charge foreign minister Hong denies.

“It’s not fair for somebody to say the warning has not been taken. It must have been taken and also they have done their best. But, you are dealing with a population who has no marks on their faces there is no uniforms they are wearing and the cars they were using are not indentified. So, it is generally very difficult for you to pin (it down).”

Both local and the international community have sharply condemned the twin car bombings.

Foreign Minister Hong said his government will continue with its constitutional mandate to protect unarmed Nigerian civilians against any form of terrorist attacks.

“We are not going to be cowed by this type of behavior. All agencies of the government will be given the impetus and the strength and the capacity to do their work very well. And we will not leave any stone unturned to make sure that such a thing never happens again.”

You May Like

India PM Modi's Party Distances Itself From Religious Conversions

BJP under fire for being slow to rein in hardline affiliate groups allegedly trying to promote Hindu-dominant agenda by luring Muslims and Christians to convert More

Anti-Whaling Group Found in Contempt of Court

Radical environmentalists who threw acid and smoke bombs at Japanese whalers in the waters off Antarctica continue their campaign to disrupt Japan's annual whale hunt More

UN's Ban Urges End to Discrimination Against Ebola Workers

Ban was speaking in Guinea on the second day of a whistle-stop tour aimed at thanking healthcare workers of the countries at the heart of the epidemic More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
US Decision on Cuba Underscores Divisions Among Miami Cubansi
X
Sharon Behn
December 19, 2014 9:34 PM
For decades, older, more conservative Cubans have been gathering at Café Versailles on the corner of Calle Ocho to eat Cuban food and talk politics. After hearing of President Barack Obama’s decision, a number of them gathered in front of the café with posters to protest. VOA's Sharon Behn reports on the situation.
Video

Video US Decision on Cuba Underscores Divisions Among Miami Cubans

For decades, older, more conservative Cubans have been gathering at Café Versailles on the corner of Calle Ocho to eat Cuban food and talk politics. After hearing of President Barack Obama’s decision, a number of them gathered in front of the café with posters to protest. VOA's Sharon Behn reports on the situation.
Video

Video Three Cities Bid for Future Obama Presidential Library

President Barack Obama still has two years left in his term in office, but the effort to establish his post-presidential library is already underway. The bid for the Obama Presidential Library is down to four locations in three states -- New York, Hawaii, and Illinois. As VOA’s Kane Farabaugh reports, each of them played an important part in the president’s life before he reached the White House.
Video

Video Cuba Deal is Major Victory for Pope’s Diplomatic Initiatives

Pope Francis played a key role in brokering the US-Cuba deal that was made public earlier this week. It is the most stunning success so far in a series of peacemaking efforts by the pontiff. VOA religion reporter Jerome Socolovsky has more.
Video

Video Fears of More Political Gridlock in 2015

2014 proved to be a difficult year politically for President Barack Obama and a very good year for the U.S. Republican Party. Republican gains in the November midterm elections gave them control of the Senate and House of Representatives for the next two years -- setting the stage for more confrontation and gridlock in the final two years of the Obama presidency. VOA National Correspondent Jim Malone has a preview from Washington.
Video

Video Sudan School Becomes Target of Aerial Attacks

The school dropout rate is at an all-time high in Sudan's South Kordofan state because many schools have been destroyed during the three-year civil war between the government and SPLA-N rebel forces. Adam Bailes visited Sudan's Nuba Mountains' region and reports many children are simply too scared to go to school
Video

Video VOA Reporter Tours Devastated Peshawar School

Islamist militants wearing military uniforms and strapped with explosives attacked a military run school Tuesday in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar. At least 141 people were killed in the horrific attack, most of them young students. VOA reporter Ayaz Gul visited the devastated school and attended the funeral of the principal who courageously tried to save her students from the deadly attack.
Video

Video Nigerians Fleeing Boko Haram Languish in Camp Near Capital

In its five-year effort to impose Islamic law in northeastern Nigeria, the Boko Haram extremist group has killed thousands of people and forced hundreds of thousands to flee. Some of those who ran for their lives now live in squalor on the edges of the capital, Abuja. Chris Stein reports for VOA.
Video

Video Aceh Rebuilt Decade After Tsunami, But Scars Remain

On December 26, 2004 there was an earthquake in the Indian Ocean so powerful it caused the Earth’s axis to wobble a few centimeters. Onshore on the island of Sumatra, the resulting tsunami was devastating. A decade later, VOA Correspondent Steve Herman reports from Banda Aceh, Indonesia, where although there is little remaining evidence of the physical devastation, the psychological scars among survivors remain.

All About America

AppleAndroid