News / USA

Occupy Protests Look Toward Future

Jeff Swicord

As Occupy protests around the country continue after starting more than a month ago, some involved with the movement are beginning to look toward the future.  The protests have succeeded in bringing their concerns about corporate influence in politics and the economy onto the national stage.  And Occupy movements are beginning to talk with each other about what comes next.

Protesters from Occupy D.C., were outside the hearing room of the congressional Super Committee, tasked with cutting the federal deficit.

Capitol Police moved in to issue the first of three warnings before arrests were made.

"You must cease your activities or be subject to arrest.  That is your first warning."

The demonstrators know how far they can go to make their point without being arrested.  

"One of the goals of the action is to cause some disruption and get some attention in this city," said Margaret Flowers, a pediatrician from Baltimore, Maryland.  "We need people to realize that is why we take over the streets and disrupt the streets."

Three weeks into the Occupation at Freedom Plaza in Washington, demonstrators gather to organize protests.  

But many people are beginning to wonder whether the Occupy protests have outlived their purpose.  Kevin Zeese is an activist and lawyer from Maryland.  Zeese says their message of ending corporate greed and justice has resonated with the public.

"The debate is not what it was before when we started," said Zeese.  "So, I think we have had a great impact.  The question is, and I am not sure what the answer is, and we are starting to wrestle with it, is, what is next for the Occupy movement?"

Zeese says protesters at Freedom Plaza are addressing that very question.  Options range from staying at Freedom Plaza through the winter, to creating a more organized national movement.

Margaret Flowers says Occupy movements around the country are also talking through Web conferences.  She would like to see a nationally organized movement.

"We are trying to put more guidance in there," explained Flowers.  "And more of the tools that we used to learn about how you use non-violent means to change the power structure."

The conversations are very preliminary and geared toward building on the momentum Occupy has achieved nationally.  Protesters say they represent the 99 percent of Americans who are suffering in the current economy, while the other 1 percent prospers.

"Ending corporate rule and shifting power to the people is a complicated task," said Zeese.  "And the occupation is a tactic to achieve a step toward that task and build the kind of independent movement we need to achieve it."

For now, the Washington Occupy demonstrators will continue with their daily protests.  Today, they back down before police make any arrests.  They retreat outside and carry on bringing their message of ending corporate greed to the people.

You May Like

Lebanese Media Unite to Support Palestinians in Gaza

Joint newscast billed as Arab world’s first unified news bulletin in support of Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip More

Photogallery Australian PM Alleges ‘Coverup’ at MH17 Crash Site

Meanwhile, Russia's ambassador to Malaysia denies plane's black boxes were opened before they were handed over to Malaysian officials More

Despite Advances in AIDS Treatment, Stigma Lingers

Leading immunologist tells VOA that stigma is often what prevents those infected with disease from seeking treatment More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
IAEA: Iran Turns its Enriched Uranium Into Less Harmful Formi
X
July 22, 2014 10:26 AM
Iran has converted its stockpiles of enriched uranium into a less dangerous form that is more difficult to use for nuclear weapons, according to the United Nations’ Atomic Energy Agency. The move complies with an interim deal reached with Western powers on Iran's nuclear program last year, in exchange for easing of sanctions. Henry Ridgwell reports for VOA from London.
Video

Video IAEA: Iran Turns its Enriched Uranium Into Less Harmful Form

Iran has converted its stockpiles of enriched uranium into a less dangerous form that is more difficult to use for nuclear weapons, according to the United Nations’ Atomic Energy Agency. The move complies with an interim deal reached with Western powers on Iran's nuclear program last year, in exchange for easing of sanctions. Henry Ridgwell reports for VOA from London.
Video

Video Relic of Saint Draws Catholics Worried About Immigration Issue

A Roman Catholic saint who is a figure of devotion for those crossing the border into the United States is attracting believers concerned about the plight of undocumented immigrants. Mike O'Sullivan reports from Los Angeles, where a relic of Saint Toribio has drawn thousands to local churches.
Video

Video Ukraine Rebels Surrender MH17 Black Boxes

After days of negotiations, a senior separatist leader handed over two black boxes from an airliner downed over eastern Ukraine to Malaysian experts early Tuesday. While on Monday, the U.N. Security Council unanimously demanded that armed groups controlling the crash site allow safe and unrestricted access to the wreckage.
Video

Video In Cambodia, HIV Diagnosis Brings Deadly Shame

Although HIV/AIDS is now a treatable condition, a positive diagnosis is still a life altering experience. In Cambodia, people living with HIV are often disowned by friends, family and the community. This humiliation can be unbearable. We bring you one Cambodian woman’s struggle to overcome a life tragedy and her own HIV positive diagnosis.
Video

Video Nature of Space Exploration Enters New Age

Forty-five years ago this month, the first humans walked on the moon. It was during an era of the space race between the United States and the Soviet Union. World politics have changed since then and -- as Elizabeth Lee reports -- so has the nature of space exploration.
Video

Video Chicago’s Argonne Lab Developing Battery of the Future

In 2012, the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science awarded a $120 million grant to a new technology center focused on battery development - headquartered at Argonne National Laboratory in suburban Chicago, Illinois. As VOA’s Kane Farabaugh reports, there scientists are making the next technological breakthroughs in energy storage.
Video

Video In NW Pakistan, Army Offensive Causes Massive Number of Displaced

Pakistan’s army offensive in North Waziristan has resulted in the large-scale displacement of the local population. VOA's Ayaz Gul reports from northwest Pakistan where authorities say around 80 percent of the estimated 1 million internally displaced persons [IDPs] have settled in Bannu district, while much of the remaining 20 percent are scattered in nearby cities.
Video

Video Kurdish Peshmerga Force Secures Kirkuk, Its Oil

The Kurdistan regional government has sent its Peshmerga troops into the adjacent province of Kirkuk to drive out insurgents, and to secure the area's rich oil fields. By doing this, the regional government has added a fourth province to the three it officially controls. The oil also provides revenue that could make an independent Kurdistan economically strong. VOA’s Jeffrey Young went out with the Peshmerga and filed this report.
Video

Video Malaysia Reeling: Second Air Disaster in Four Months

Malaysia is reeling from the second air disaster in four months involving the country’s flag carrier. Flight 340 vanished in March and despite an extensive search, no debris has been found. And on Thursday, Flight 17, likely hit by a surface-to-air missile, came apart over eastern Ukraine. The two incidents together have left more than 500 people dead. VOA Correspondent Steve Herman reports from Kuala Lumpur.

AppleAndroid