Europe

Flares are let off as police stand guard while pro-union protestors clash with pro-independence protestors during a demonstration at George Square in Glasgow, Scotland, Sept. 19, 2014.

Photogallery Former PM Brown: London Must Keep Promises to Scotland

Three biggest parties had vowed to expand Scottish autonomy before vote More

An exterior view shows the damaged main terminal of Donetsk Sergey Prokofiev International Airport in Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, Sept. 20, 2014.

Photogallery Donetsk Blasts as Kyiv, Rebels Cut Deal

Several powerful explosions were heard Saturday morning in Donetsk, where a plant producing munitions and industrial explosives was hit, officials say More

Freed Turkish hostages are welcomed at the airport in Ankara, Sept. 20, 2014.

IS Militants Release 49 Turkish Hostages

Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency reports that no ransom was paid and no conditions accepted for the hostages' release; few details of the release are known More

Supporters from the "No" Campaign celebrate in Edinburgh, Scotland, Sept. 19, 2014.

Scotland Stays in UK, But Britain Faces Change

Results show that 55 percent of votes were in favor of remaining part of Britain compared to 45 percent who voted for independence More

Pope Francis greets a family in the Paul VI hall at the Vatican at the end a meeting with participants in the "Evangelii Gaudium" conference organized by the Pontifical council for the new evangelization, Sept. 19, 2014.

Vatican Shrugs Off Warning of IS Plot

Francis says he wants to visit Albania to highlight rebirth of Christianity that was brutally abolished during communist rule More


More Europe News

Exxon Winds Down Drilling as US Sanctions Hit Russia

Washington extended sanctions on Russia last week over its aggression in Ukraine
More

Bin Laden Ally Admits Role in US African Embassy Bombings

Adel Abdel Bary is father of Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, suspected executioner of journalist James Foley
More

Vatican Shrugs Off Warning of IS Plot

Francis says he wants to visit Albania to highlight rebirth of Christianity that was brutally abolished during communist rule
More

Video Migrants Caught in No-Man's Land In French Port

The deaths of hundreds of migrants in the Mediterranean this week has only recast the spotlight on the perils of reaching 'Fortress Europe'
More

US-Turkey Relations Suffering Over Islamic State

Turkish government is facing growing pressure from Washington amid allegations that it provides tacit support for militants
More

Analyst: Islamic State Propaganda Seeks to Draw West to Battle

Some regional experts say IS ultimately wants to engage the West on the battlefield and that the West is doing exactly what it appears that ISIS wants
More

Sarkozy Sets Return to French Politics With 'New Project'

Former president to seek leadership of opposition UMP party in move that would position him for 2017 presidential bid
More
More Articles

Video

Video Fears Ebola Outbreak ‘Beyond Our Capability to Contain’

Each day brings with it new warnings about the deadly Ebola outbreak already blamed for killing more than 2,600 people across West Africa. And while countries and international organizations like the United Nations are starting to come through on promises of help for those most affected, the unprecedented speed with which the virus has spread is raising questions about the international response. VOA's Jeff Seldin has more from Washington.