Turkey at a glance
- Gained independence on October 29, 1923, ruled by a Republican Parliamentary democracy
- Turkey has 15 active political parties. The main ones include the Justice and Development Party (AKP); Republicans People's Party (CHP); Nationalist Movement Party (MHP); and the People's Democracy Party (HDP).
- Joined the United Nations in 1945 and NATO in 1952
- Turkey has a population of 79,414,269 making it the 19th most populous country in the world.
- 73 percent of its population lives in urban areas.
- 99 percent of Turkish citizens are Sunni Muslim
- Has a GDP of $1.508 trillion
- Located in both Southeastern Europe and Southwestern Asia
- Shares a border with eight countries: Bulgaria, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Greece, Iran, Iraq, Syria