Yemen says it has arrested four suspected al-Qaida members who it says were planning bomb attack in the country's capital, Sanaa.
Yemen Interior Minister Rashad al-Alimi says security forces seized the men early Saturday along with explosives.
He says the suspects were also likely connected to Friday's attempted attacks against oil and gas installations in eastern Yemen.
In those attacks, Yemen said its security forces prevented two car bomb attempts and killed all four attackers. One security guard died in an exchange of gunfire.
Yemen is to hold presidential and local council elections Wednesday.
On another matter, Yemen says France has asked it not to use force to free four French citizens taken hostage by tribal kidnappers a week ago.
Interior Minister al-Alimi says French President Jacques Chirac insisted that Yemen avoid force no matter how long the tourists are detained.
Tribesmen seized the French tourists September 10 in the eastern province of Shabwa. Yemeni officials have said the tribesman are seeking the release of jailed relatives.
Members of the same tribe kidnapped and later released five German tourists last year.
Some information for this report provided by AFP and Reuters.