Promoters are suing David Copperfield for nearly $2.2 million, after the illusionist pulled out of 48 shows in the face of rape claims. Filed November 6 in Los Angeles County Superior Court, the breach of contract suit names Copperfield, his company and one of his attorneys, Albert Rettig. Calls to Rettig and Copperfield's representative seeking comment were not immediately returned.
David Copperfield - real name David Kotkin - came under investigation in October after a 21-year-old woman told authorities he raped her in July at his estate in the Bahamas. An attorney for the magician has denied the allegations, and no charges have been filed.
The new lawsuit claims Copperfield backed out of a deal involving 10 performances in the United Arab Emirates and 38 shows in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore this autumn because he did not want to face questioning by reporters.
An attorney for Copperfield said last month that the shows were cancelled after Asian tour operators defaulted on their contracts.
The lawsuit was filed by California-based Viva Art International Ltd. and Maz Concerts Inc. of Ontario. They claim they gave Copperfield approximately $2.2 million to cover his costs before he cancelled the shows.