Order’s Impact on Unauthorized Immigrants:
- Enables immigrants living in the U.S. for at least five years to apply for program protecting them from deportation and granting permission to work
- Expands existing program for “dreamers,” young immigrants who came to the U.S. as children. Ends age limit for qualification
- Makes it easier and faster for highly skilled immigrants, graduates and entrepreneurs to stay and contribute to U.S. economy
- Allocates additional border resources to curb illegal crossings and speed illegal entrants’ return
- Does not extend public benefits such as Medicaid, food stamps or other need-based federal aid offered to citizens and some legal residents.
Sources: whitehouse.gov, VOA reports