Key Dates in WikiLeaks
- 2006: Set up by a group of people, including Australian Julian Assange.
- 2008: Publishes the contents of Sarah Palin's hacked e-mail account.
- 2009: Posts thousands of text messages from U.S. emergency workers and military personnel from September 11, 2001.
- 2010: Releases hundreds of thousands of classified U.S. military documents and diplomatic cables.
- 2011: Assange appeals extradition from Britain to Sweden on sex crimes charges.
- 2012: British court upholds extradition of Assange, who takes refuge in Ecuador's embassy in London. Ecuador grants him asylum in August.
- 2013: U.S. Army Private Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years after being found not guilty of aiding the enemy but guilty of several other charges for leaking U.S. secrets to WikiLeaks.