Regional Food Security at a Glance
- Prices are up in Southern Africa on disappointing harvests.
- Markets in West Africa were mostly stable but high, and large numbers of people remain displaced by conflict.
- East Africa saw seasonal declines with the new harvest.
- In the Great Lakes, conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo means more than 6 million people need food assistance, 2 million more than last year.
- In the Middle East, food security concerns are increasing in Syria due to the civil conflict, Yemen remains a trouble spot.
- Wheat prices are up in the countries of the former Soviet Union on poor harvests.
- Prices are up in Haiti due to damage from tropical storms.